Monday, April 14, 2008

A Magical Weekend

This weekend was quite busy.

Saturday:

A while back I entered into the Asian Student Organization's talent show. I didn't expect much, just do a quick bit, and be done. It was for a $200 cash prize for first. So Saturday comes around, the performers met in a room, and went over the itinerary, this included activities that had those who were not attending the University, to take a tour, and get to know it a little. They had to have some sort of campus involvement which luckily, I did not have to go on. So I went home, the meager the lunch was not enough, so I had some supplemental lunch. I waited until the 5:00 sound check. This ended up being the 6:30 sound check, and finally, 15 minutes late, the show started. I was 6th, maybe 7th..it was a small roster. Before me was a guy I knew, and he sang and played the guitar, and another singer, guitar person was on after. Then a song and dance group closed the show. They are the only ones I saw, since I was in the dressing room backstage during most of it.

Being an Asian Student Organization, most of the talent were Asian, and I was the only white guy.

An interesting thing, while the sound was getting checked, the judges came in, and one of them brought their kid. I was delighted to see that this kid had a deck of cards with him. I instantly made note of that, and instead of using my deck, I would use his, and being the son of one of the judges, thought I'd get a favorable score. It was a nice bit, and it worked out. I should have some video of it up soon.

Then I got ready for the next day.

Sunday:

It all started off rather nice. Didn't have to wake up to an alarm, stayed in bed until I was ready to face the day. And even then, it was a pretty easy day. I was driving over to Madison, about 2 1/2 hours away, to go to the I.B.M Ring 31 meeting. I went a couple months ago to see a lecture, and wanted to see what a normal meeting consisted of. So, I get there around 5:00, have dinner at the restaurant where the meeting is, and then came in as they were finishing the buisiness end of the meeting. I'm thinking of joining the I.B.M, so I could get the two signatures I needed, and possibly join the "local" ring. The other Wisconsin ring is in Milwaukee. After attending a meeting, I'm still not sure whether to join the local club, the lecture was fine a few months ago, but the meeting was a little lackluster.

I bought a book, and did some tricks, and then at 8:30 started the long drive home.
If I lived maybe half and hour away, I would go every month, but I don't think it is worth it to drive 2 1/2 hours to see a few tricks.

I still think I'll join the I.B.M though. I am already a member of S.A.M.

The magic filled weekend had some ups and downs, it was mostly relaxing.

And the talent show.... The night was filled with hip-hop dancers and singers. A nice piece of mentalism just brought things to a screeching halt, I didn't win any of the prizes, but you live, you learn.

Step Inside,

Robert Ruse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home